What is DNA Banking?
“DNA Banking is the secure preservation and long-term storage of an individual’s unique genetic material.”
Why is DNA preservation and banking important?
Advancements in science and technology have allowed us to look at DNA as more than just an individual’s hair color, eye color, and physical traits. DNA testing and banking can now be used to compare against medical conditions and ancestral roots, giving us more information than ever about the individual who the DNA pertains to. Without DNA collection and preservation these opportunities are lost forever.
Why do we talk about DNA banking in the funeral profession?
It is crucial that families speak with their loved ones as well as their preferred funeral service provider to ensure that arrangements can be made accordingly. DNA preservation and banking is no longer an available option once cremation or embalming has occurred
Benefits of DNA Banking
- Cherish More Than a Memory: DNA Banking is the best option for families who are looking for a meaningful way to remember their loved one. Unlike ashes, hair or other traditional keepsakes, DNA contains the unique genetic ‘blueprint’ of an individual. Preserving DNA gives families an opportunity to capture all this information and establish a connection that will last forever.
- Document Hereditary Heart Diseases in the Family: 75% of all diseases can be traced back to our genetic makeup. Many of the genetic mutations that cause cancers and other hereditary diseases have been identified. Banking your family’s DNA is an important step in tracing the root cause of hereditary diseases and paves the way for DNA medical research and targeted treatments in the future.
- New Opportunities in Ancestry DNA Testing: Trace your ancestral roots using an ancestry DNA test. As more markers are identified, DNA ancestry testing will become much more powerful than it is today. Keeping a record of your family’s DNA opens new doors in this exciting field and creates opportunities that were never available before.
- Store DNA for Future Testing: Banked DNA lasts indefinitely and can be accessed for testing at any time. A wide range of genetic tests are currently available for everything from ancestry testing to disease predisposition testing and more are yet to come.
- Open Doors for Personalized Medicine: Studying your family’s DNA may assist doctors in determining which treatment plans will work best for you, and which ones will be ineffective. This technology is already being used as DNA testing for medical tolerance, optimal dosage levels and effectivity of drugs used in heart disease and cancer patients.
Source: SecuriGene DNA Preservation
How to Get Started Preserving Your DNA
- Contact us to purchase our DNA banking kit.
- Our Funeral Service Provider will take a small DNA sample for collection.
- Your DNA sample is then sent to the SecuriGene laboratory for processing.
- Your banked DNA is returned to you in a state-of-the-art capsule made from surgical grade stainless steel along with a Certificate of Analysis.
DNA Video Transcript:
“Our unique DNA makes us who we are today. From the soft wavy hair we inherited from our grandmother to the rich hazel eyes of our father, everything is rooted deep within our genetics. Our DNA even reveals health risks that run in the family and offers clues about the origins of our ancestors. After death, all this information is lost… forever.
But now, with the SecuriGene DNA Capsule, families have a chance to capture the entire genetic blueprint of their loved one and preserve their legacy for generations to come. Each capsule is precision-crafted from surgical-grade stainless steel. The DNA within is carefully extracted by the lab, purified of contaminants, and preserved using anhydrobiosis technology. It is then hermetically sealed, inspected, certified for purity, and returned home to your family. A legacy secured forever in life’s purest form.
For genetic analysis, both now and in the future, families can choose from over 3,000 DNA tests at SecuriGene, including DNA ancestry testing, health screening, genetic profiling, and kinship testing. Families with a history of cancer, heart disease, Alzheimer’s, stroke, and other heritable conditions are strongly encouraged to save DNA. Since our genetics are passed down from parent to child, it is crucial to have samples available from previous generations. Enabling doctors to trace the root cause of diseases. Tailor more effective treatment plans and improve the overall health of the entire family.
And this is only the beginning. There is so much we have yet to discover about DNA. Preserving your loved one’s genetic blueprint allows you to make use of all future technologies as they become available. The time we have with our loved ones can be fleeting, so hold onto the most personal kind of hope we have, our DNA. Meaningful, unique, and completely personalized, the SecuriGene DNA Capsule helps you remember your loved one by unlocking the past and opening up the possibilities of the future.”